Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries
Establishment of the Committee
The Sectoral Committee on Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries was established on Thursday 5th October, 2017, pursuant to the provisions of the Standing Order 203(1).
Functions of the Committee
Pursuant to the Provisions of the Standing Order 203 (6), the functions of the Committee are to-
- Investigate, inquire into, and report on all matters relating to the mandate, management, activities, administration, operations and estimates of the department;
- Study the programme and policy objectives of the department and the effectiveness of the implementation;
- Study and review all county legislation referred to it;
- Study, assess and analyze the relative success of the department as measured by the results obtained as compared with their stated objectives;
- Investigate and inquire into all matters relating to the department as they may deem necessary, and as may be referred to them by the county assembly;
- To vet and report on all appointments where the constitution or any law requires the county assembly to approve, except those under standing order 196 (committee on appointments); and
- Make reports and recommendations to the county assembly as often as possible, including recommendation of proposed legislation.
Subject Area of the Committee
The Third Schedule to the County Assembly Standing Orders provides that the Committee is to consider all matters related to agriculture, including crop and animal husbandry, livestock sale yards, county abattoirs, plant and animal disease control and fisheries; animal control and welfare, including licensing of dogs and facilities for the accommodation, care and burial of animals.
In the execution of its functions, the Committee is assisted by a Clerk Assistant who is a non-partisan officer, i.e serves all members of the Committee and representatives of all parties equally.
The Clerk Assistant performs his or her duties and responsibilities under the direction of the Committee and its Chair and guided by the relevant Laws. As an expert in parliamentary procedures, practices and Rules of the Assembly (Standing Orders), the Clerk Assistant may be requested to give advice to the Chair and members of the Committee should a question of procedure arise. The Clerk Assistant is the coordinator, organizer and liaison officer for the Committee and as such will be in frequent contact with members. He or she is also responsible to invite witnesses and to deal with all the details regarding their appearance before the Committee.
The Clerk Assistant provides a wide range of specialized administrative services for the Committee, in particular, the organization of Committee meetings and the publishing of documents on the Committees’ website.
The Clerk Assistant provides authoritative, substantive, and timely research, analysis and information to all members of the Committee. He or she is the Committee’s institutional memory and is unique resource for Members.
The Clerk Assistant provides briefing notes on the subjects being examined; detailed study plans; lists of proposed witnesses; analyses of an issue with a list of suggested questions; background papers; draft reports; news releases; and/or formal correspondences.
The Clerk Assistant assist Members in preparation of legislative proposals or amendments to Bills. At various stages of the legislative process, Members may propose amendments to bills. Amendments may first be proposed at the Committee Stage, during a Committee’s clause-by-clause review of a Bill. Amendments may also be proposed at the Report Stage, once a Bill returns to the Assembly.
- Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries
- Finance and Economic Planning
- Trade Co-operative, Tourism Industrialization and Enterprise Development
- Lands, Physical Planning, Natural Resources Housing, Environment and Partnerships
- Road, Public Works and Energy
- Information, Communication Technology, Gender and Social Services
- Health Services
- Public Service Administration and Citizen Participation
- Education, Youth, Sports and Culture
- Water, Irrigation and Sanitation
- County Assembly Business Committee
- County Budget and Appropriation Committee
- Committee on Appointment
- County Assembly Rules and Procedures Committee
- County Public Investment and Accounts Committee
- Committee on Powers and Privileges
- Liaison Committee
- Committee on Implementation
- Committee on Delegated County Legislation
- Committee on Justice and Legal Affairs
- Committee on Disability Mainstreaming